Classic Ambiance Flashback

Saturday, March 31, 2012

I wished they were more female artists in Africa



In this month, we celebrate the importance of women. I just had one wish that was the case: THEY WOULD BE MORE FEMALE ARTISTS IN AFRICA.

Yep I said it, I wish they were more female artists in Africa. Why do I say this because I have notice in Western music that I listen to sometimes, I tend to favor female voices than male voices. I mean in American Music for examples, I got the likes of Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Ciara, Ledashi, Faith Evans, Keyshia Cole, and others. I love female voices especially voices that bring that arousal effect on their singing. I love other Western artists like Joss Stone, Adele, and Natashaa Bedingfield. Natasha and Joss sounded sexy together. They need to make more music together in the near future. I favor female artists in the Western music sense.

Now that should be the same case when it comes to African Music, right? Nope. Well the thing is that they are so few female artists in the African music scene and that still holds true in today's age. Why? There are some factors. Well the thing is that Africans want to keep some tradition and one of them is to have a few female artist but have music dominated by the males. That still holds today. If female artist wanted to go through, then a male had hold her hand basically to have a start in life.

This is very true in Congolese Music. For examples, most people would know Grand Kalle, Franco, Koffi Olomide, Papa Wemba, Nyboma, and Pepe Kalle. But the only few that really pioneered with Congolese music is Mbila Bel and Tshala Muana. These female artists had to work very hard to be seen as normal people.

I feel like they should do more work to get more female artists into the music scene. Please do what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment