Classic Ambiance Flashback

Friday, February 17, 2012

Soul Train Dancers Remember Don Cornelius


So sorry for not being able to do some post the last two days. So much things going on as school, family, and facebook are comsuming my time these days. Sorry for that.

Here is one special thing to me is that some Soul Train Dancers decided to comment on their man Don Cornelius who died on the 3rd.



Here are some quotes from the dancers

PATRICIA DAVIS, 1971-1975 I felt that he was a strong father image who looked over the Soul Train Gang. I thank him for breaking open something that I was proud to be a part of. Don was the seed and he pulled us dancers in to be a part of that seed that evolved into a big “black” tree. He gave birth to something new and we were all a part of that birth.
DAMITA JO FREEMAN, 1971-1975 A pioneer has died, but a dream has been made and carried on by the pioneer.
JIMMY “SCOO B DOO” FOSTER, 1971-1974 If it weren’t for Don, many of us would never have been seen. If there was no Don Cornelius, locking, rap and hip-hop would not have been seen on television. Don made it okay for black people to have fun on television, to express who we were without prejudice. He made it okay for black artists to say it’s okay to be who I am. He even broke records by letting other races dance on his show. He opened up so many doors and opportunities for us all.
PERRY BROWN, 1971-1973 - I’m speechless. It’s very disturbing about what happened to Uncle Don. That’s what most of us called him that started on Soul Train. Uncle Don, I would just like to say to you that even though you are no longer with us physically, spiritually I know that you will receive this message. Most of us didn’t get the chance to thank you for the opportunity that was given to us, to share our talents with the world. When I think about it, I for one would not be the person that I am. I’m still referred to as Soul Train and I’m sure anyone that served time on Soul Train carries that identity wherever they go. It’s a proud title to carry.  We, the original Soul Train Gang as well as the Soul Train Dancers, love you. So, on behalf of all your kids that made up the original Soul Train Gang (1971-1974) and the Soul Train Dancers (1975-2006), we salute you. You will surely be missed. Rest in peace, Uncle Don.
YOLANDA TOUSSAINT SEAY, 1972-1975 Words can’t express the sorrow that our Soul Train family is feeling at the passing of Don Cornelius. Don made us a part of his “dream and vision.” Soul Train not only touched our lives, but the lives of many who wanted to learn the latest dance steps or the latest style of dress. The show even introduced new up and coming singing artists to the platform to showcase their talent, as well as seasoned singers. “It was the hippest trip inAmerica” and I will always be grateful for the privilege. Thank you, Don, for all the precious memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life.
VICKI ABERCROMBIE, 1972-1977 It’s very unfortunate. I was saddened by the news of Don’s passing. May he rest in peace.
CONNIE BLACKINO 1972-1975 Dear Don, you shall live in the hearts of many for yesterday, today, and our tomorrows. Your impact on so many lives will live on. I remember a motto from a plaque some of the dancers received: “Reach for the stars, you may fall on a mountain.” Well you taught us to reach for the stars and many of us did reach the mountain. To God’s Glory LOVE!!! PEACE!!! AND SOUL!!!
SHARON HILL WOOD 1972 -1978 I’m numb over Don’s death. He was a part of our lives. We saw him one weekend out of every month. He was like a distant dad. I’m proud that we are a part of his history.
THELMA DAVIS MARTIN 1972-1982 Don was instrumental in helping to build me into the woman I am today. Because of his belief and faith in himself he was able to push forward despite all odds. He was a true pioneer but his strength was bolstered by those whom he chose to surround himself with, and the dancers were a great part of his life. Originally we were the “Soul Train Gang” and he was very protective of us. As time passed we were allowed to venture off on our own without his watchful eye, and for this I am thankful.
TYRONE “THE BONE” PROCTOR, 1972-1978 Don Cornelius single-handedly saved black music. He took black music and made it visual and gave it a vehicle. There was no vehicle for this platform at that time. He also put black people in front of the camera and behind the camera. He was the first one to do that. His death affects me in the sense that something hit me in the chest and took my breath away.
EDDIE COLE, 1972-1975   Don, for me, always showed this strong, angry face. But for certain people he melted like butter and showed his sensitive side. I was fortunate to be one of those who could call him Uncle Don. We (Wanda Fuller and I) did the Scramble Board more times than I can remember, just because I’d say “Uncle Don! Can we do the the scramble board again?”
He held a lot inside. Even I knew that at a young age. R.I.P. Uncle Don…..
FREDDIE MAXIE, 1973-1976 If I had not met Don Cornelius, I wouldn’t have been where I am today or in the history book of Soul Train.
CYNTHIA “MAE WEST”, 1973-1984 If it weren’t for Don, a lot of people would not have gotten exposure. He helped a lot of people. He put black people on TV at a time when you didn’t see a lot of us on television.
ADOLFO “SHABBA DOO” QUNIONES (OF THE LOCKERS), 1973-1974 Don Cornelius was the first one to give us a stage to showcase our talents. Don is the emancipator of the street dance. He gave us one hour every Saturday to express ourselves. That is immeasurable.
CHERYL SONG, 1976-1990 I am very sad that Don Cornelius is no longer with us. He took a big risk on letting me, an Asian girl, dance on Soul Train and it opened up so many doors for me. I got to work with Michael Jackson, Rick James, and Lionel Richie, among others, because of Don. I will always appreciate him and I will never forget him.
DEREK “FOXTAILS” FLEMING, 1980-1993 We saw him not only as a business person, but like a dad. It’s very tragic to hear of his passing.
JULIETTE HAGERMAN, 1984-1993 Don was like an uncle to us. He will be in our hearts forever. I want to thank him that we were all a part of his family.
JEFFREY MCCRIMON, 1987-1994 and 1999-2001  Don, you deserve much praise and honor for what you have done for so many. I am honored and thankful for being a part of your gift to the world!
MANUEL REED, 1980-1990 I’m most grateful for the doors that he opened for me on an entertainment level from music, choreography, video and movies. I also learned from him how to handle yourself when a camera or microphone gets pointed in your direction. As dancers we’re all a part of TV history that is forever in the TV history books. No one can take that away from us. He’ll be missed dearly. RIP Don Cornelius with Love, Peace and Soul.
MONIQUE “QUE” CHAMBERS, 1988-2004 I am so honored to have had the opportunity to work with the legendary TV host Don Cornelius for 16 years as a Soul Train dancer. May Don rest in peace.  My prayers go out to his family, friends, and all who loved and supported him so dearly. Love, peace, and soul always and forever.
ALFIE LEWIS, 1995-2006 We had great times on the show. Don Cornelius will be missed!

http://soultrain.com/2012/02/09/the-soul-train-gang-remembers-don-cornelius/

No comments:

Post a Comment